Legal Aid NSW provides legal services to disadvantaged clients across NSW in most areas of criminalfamily, and care and protection law. Legal Aid NSW also assists people experiencing domestic and family violence.

Hansons Lawyers are legal aid panel practitioners, meaning we work as private lawyers for Legal Aid, and we can represent you if your application for a grant of legal aid is approved. Find out more about determining your eligibility for Legal Aid.

How do I Apply for Legal Aid?

You need to fill in a legal aid application form to get a grant of legal aid.  You can also get the legal aid application form from any Legal Aid NSW office, community legal centre, and from Hansons Lawyers office. The form has questions about your legal problem and asks you about your financial situation.

You will also need to give us:

  • proof of your income, such as copies of your pay slips or a copy of your Centrelink Statement of Benefit
  • last three months of your bank or credit union statements for all accounts
  • other documentation depending on your legal matter

Once you have completed the form, you can return it to our office and we will submit it on your behalf.

If you would like more information about legal aid, please contact Jeffrey David or Shae Mitchell for an initial consultation. It would be of great assistance to Hansons Lawyers if you could bring all information and documentation requested by our office with you to your appointment.